Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Connection: Ch. 1-11 by Crystal Gill

When first reading chapter one, the only thing that flashed to my mind was the word CULT. The word cult is now thought of as something terrible, but in actuallity it just refers to a group of people whose beliefs or practices are considered strange. Or maybe it is similar to the Amish communtiy. Now, I can not think of a personal experience nor anyone else who has had any experiences with a cult or the Amish. Yet, getting further into the story I found something so obvious that can be related to. Jonas is an eleven, and soon will be a twelve. He is beginning a major change in his life, and it is causing him some apprehension. He will be assigned his "job" at the twelve Ceremony, and he is beginning to experience puberty. This book touches on the subject that the intended readers are going through, or soon will be going through. When I first began to go through the changes of puberty, it was very nerve racking. I was from a small community, and puberty and sex education were not taught. My parents did not have the "discussion" with me, and I was embarrassed to talk to them about it. I can relate to Jonas, and his not questioning attitude. I just went along with whatever the school nurse, my friend's mother, my sister, and eventually my own mother told me. In the book, the "stirrings" of his sexual feelings are controlled by a pill. This I believe can be related to adults pressuring young adults to remain abstenent. Is it right? Well, that is a subject I wont touch on.
As for Jonas' feelings towards his twelve Ceremony, and his Assignment this I can easily relate to graduation! I feel nervous and excited at the same time. I look ahead to the future and hope to perform to the best of my abilities, but it is still frightning. Within chapter 11, Jonas' feelings about his Assignment are "welcoming,"and that is exactly how I feel about my student teaching and future job.
I understand the level of reader is for jueveniles, but it touches on matter that people of all ages can relate to or remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment